Saturday, September 11, 2010

we used to wait

On days like today I listen to Lux or O Magnum when I know they are doing auditions at Acadia. I think to myself “it’s ok, you had a good run”. That I did. I was a lucky bugger when it came to that ensemble, I got what I needed from it: friends, challenges, knowledge, confidence and so, so much more. I am looking forward to playing again with a group here in Bristol. I will have to wait until ensembles start back up in October but more than anything I’m glad I want to continue playing. My music degree nearly kicked the love I had for my instrument to the curb. My education degree changed all of that when I started to play for myself and not for grades. I am not the best oboe player in the world, I never claimed to be but I did improve over the past 2 years and I am thankful I have fallen in love again with playing.

Bristol news! Our shower has been leaking and it’s running down into the flat below. Needless to say they aren’t very happy with it and my father isn’t around to fix the problems BUT my landlord’s father is! They are also friend with a plumber so after three trips and different things to stop the leaking (from where we thought it was coming from) they sent the plumber. He tore off the panel on the front of the tub and is going to come back next week. That, my friends is one of the most interesting events that took place this week! AND someone other than myself was in the flat. Almost asked if he wanted to stay for tea but I thought that would be weird and he seemed busy. (Kidding... I wasn’t going to ask him in for tea)

Last night I went to a local pub with my friend Natalie! We had an amazing ice cream fudge thing and some cider! I’ll be going back there for sure!! It was so nice to spend time with her! We knew each other from Acadia but are just becoming good friends now. Timing is everything:)

I am preparing for a wonderful season of concerts!! Being in a city where people actually come is amazing and if they come to London I’m only a bus ride away. Let’s see what is on the agenda:
September 23: London Symphony Orchestra in Bristol! Malher 5! Eight pound for that ticket, baby.
October 7th: Dan Mangan in Bristol!
October 24th: Eric Whitacre with LSO in London.
November 16thThe Goo Goo Dolls (a band I have wanted to see since jr. high)
November 24th: The National in Bristol (or the end of the month in London)
December 1: Arcade Fire in London!
AND
December 16 or 17: Lady Gaga in London (Merry Christmas, Coombs <3)

Now I realize I will have to pick and choose but if I can manage most/all I surely will. AND those are just the ones I have come across so far.

There was an envelop on the floor outside of the main door that said “please read: from 19 Dundonald” It wasn’t addressed to anyone maybe everyone? I thought since I was the newest member of the building I shouldn’t open it. Now I wish I had cause I have been thinking about it all day.
So Morgan introduced this to me. It’s from the Arcade Fire and Google Chrome. You should do it. I tried to do it with my home in CB but there isn’t enough on Google Earth to support it so I used Wolfville (of course). I suggest you try it out!! It’s pretty amazing.
Instructions:
-put in your address
-let it load
-don’t touch anything, just watch.

thewildernessdowntown

Happy weekend everyone!!

xo

Coombs

No comments:

Post a Comment