Thursday, September 16, 2010

roommateless no more

Hilary made it safe and sound! It was so nice to see her come off the bus! It seemed like the craziest idea at first that we would move to England together and here we are, exploring, having meetings with work, her falling in love with all that Bristol has to offer (which is a lot) eating good meals together, drinking wine and just picking up where we left off in May! It's so nice be to sharing this experience with someone again (other than the people in my tv shows.. ha..).
I stopped by work yesterday to pick up more time sheets and then I left to wait for Hilary to finish up in her meeting. I was walking up and down the road taking in the market and the little stores. There are all kinds of charity workers who ask you to stop for 5 minutes of your time to hear what they have to say. They are usually young and trying to get messages out there. I admire them because it must be hard not wanting to be heard or sometimes even seen by rude humans who are consumed by where they are going in the next hour, not where they are going long term. So as I was walking down the road I saw this young girl from Amnesty International stop this business man all suited up for a days work and he looked at her with a death stare and said "if I wanted to talk to you about this nonsense I would have stopped, I'm heading to actual work!" and he stormed off. I'm sure that happens frequently but I can see it just knocked her confidence down a bit. It's not like she was selling knock-off hand bags or fake gold watches, mister crankypants. ANYWAY, cause I really had nothing to do and I am interested in this organization I went up to her and said "I'll talk to you". That I did. So we talked about where I was from, she asked if I was American, I asked why people always assume we are American (which was a dumb question... I know exactly why they think I am because the US is all you hear about. Not hating on the US at all, I'm just not American) Then she told me about some of the things they are working on and somethings I didn't know about (note to self start reading the news in the morning). It was great! Two people having a conversation until she said I could help out by donating just 25p a day. I would but my income at the moment is not flowing into my bank account so I made a note that once things are under control, etc. that this would be something I am interested in. All in all, I'm glad I stopped :)
Then as I was waiting by the building for Hilary to come out one of the Protocol people came out, the one I liked the most. He just talked to Hilary and got her all sorted out. He apologized that work is so slow at the moment and said to keep on calling in. It was reassuring that he cared or pretended anyway haha. But he did mention my Canada connection again and how he was on strict orders to take care of me so I am glad he didn't forget that :)
After all of that we walked to the bank, to a couple of phone stores and then we got Hilary a library card! We headed home, I did some window shopping and I showed her some of my favorite stores. It was a lovely day!
Now, It is 7:23am and I am waiting again. Still have the nerves for some reason. I think its the unknown that scares me, will I make it to the bus? will the school be nice? Will I want to fall asleep by 10:30 because 6:00am is not my best friend? One thing I do know if I am loving my 10:00pm grandma bedtime again. Routine = good.
Miss you all!
xo

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are having wonderful adventures every day, and I love hearing about them! Take care you, we love you!
    - C and J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. C and J. i love that.

    <3 i read your blog all the time. i am glad hilary is there and it sounds like her visit is just what you needed. i'm sending good phone vibes your way as always

    ReplyDelete