Thursday, January 6, 2011

farewell.

Well, I am home in Cape Breton and I just couldn't be happier. The journey home was almost more than I could bare in my emotional state. With 13cm of snow holding me back from a Christmas at home that I desperately needed you can imagine I had everyone praying, wishing and sending good vibes across the ocean. Thankfully after dragging my stuff around the largest city more than I should have I was on a plane to Canada to hug my mom.


Needless to say it was one of the best Christmas vacations I have ever, ever had. Just being home safe and sound with my family and not sleeping in Heathrow airport with angry people.


So here are a few thank yous, i love yous and i missed yous that I would like to share!


Happy 2011 everyone! Make it a good one!!


xoxoxoxo


Dear England,

How can I ever thank you enough for what you have given me? I find myself completely awestruck by your beauty and overwhelmed at the comfort I have found here. While I am sure many could move here and never return home I am having somewhat of a Dorothy Gale experience. It has been six and a half years since I have lived in Cape Breton and the moment I put an ocean between us this feeling came over me. I don’t know what it was but I knew in my heart that it was time and more importantly that I was ready to come home.

I can’t say I envy people who want a fresh start. What about everything you have done in your life? What about the pain that made you the person you are today? The love that made you realize that there is nothing else like it in the whole world? The life you spent so much time building? I don’t want a fresh start I want to continue living the life I was meant to lead.

So here I am packing my bags, saying so long and finding myself happier, healthier and that much more Tara Coombs than when I arrived.


Dear Brenna,

Remember that time I asked you if you wanted to move to England with me and you did? We make good life choices. Thank you for your friendship, love and laughs. See you soon.


Dear Morgan,

Who is beyond happy she sat by the coolest girl in the room 6.5 years ago? I am.


Dear Wolfville,

I used to think I couldn’t survive without you. Silly me, but it was the people that made you so special along with the memories. You are among the blessings I count every day but I am glad we are doing our own thing now.


Dear Mom & Dad,

Everything I need to say will be said with hugs and maybe a few tears.


Dear Hilary,

This is just the beginning.


Dear Canon G11,

You make me see the world in a different way. Thank you for being the best travel companion a girl could ask for. Let’s do artsy things when we get home.


Dear Emmy,

I miss you every single day.


Dear Harry Potter series,

Most think I have some sort of obsession with you and they are probably right. I don’t think I ever expressed to anyone how by coincidence I have always read the series when going through the roughest patches of my life. Nannie passing away; I finished the book just after, Ellie passing away, leaving the Valley, leaving England, etc. I never plan it... I don’t think “oh I feel a heart break coming on, must read some HP” I think it’s just there, helping me to see that things are rough, things are not always as they seem, you shouldn’t hold people up on pedestals because they are human and bound to fall, thank God (or whoever) for your friends every day, laugh whenever you can, cry when you need to, be thankful for those who have been there for you and all you need is love. Yeah, yeah... I’m corny but don’t you think we need a little more corn in life?


Dear Julie,

I’ll never forget the email you sent me when I was in Rome. I am so happy for you.


Dear Cristina,

Oh England.


Dear Hopkins,

I was surrounded by family growing up. Aunts, uncles and cousins lived literally a stone throw away from my house and I never knew how hard it would be not to have them when I moved to Acadia. Then you guys came along and I felt like I had family close by. I miss you all very, very much and I am thankful for every single one of you!


Dear Jennie,

You’re the best and I promise to hang out with you.


Dear Tyler,

You’re my happy thought.


Dear Deb,

Thank you for hiring me, thank you for hiring me again for the other job, and most importantly thank you for being one of the greatest friends I have ever had.


Dear Ally and Nicole,

Enjoy yourselves and do as much as you can.


Dear Kirsti,

I see many fun adventures for us.


Dear Ashley,

I guess the United Kingdom isn’t meant for us? Maybe our ancestors left for a reason and headed to Benacadie Pond. I plan on spending a lot of time there this summer, care to join me?


Dear pen pals,

I have very much enjoyed writing you letters! I hope to continue when I get home because everyone loves snail mail.


Dear Stephanie, Whitney and Robert,

I love you all with my whole heart.


Dear Heathrow,

Get a fucking snowplow.


Dear Cape Breton,

My one true love, I am ready to come home.


Dear Tara,

You cried more than you ever have in your life, seen some of the most beautiful sights, prayed at the Vatican, wished for love in Glastonbury, ate pizza and drank coffee people would die for in Rome, saw the Harry Potter characters on the red carpet in London, read lots of books in six months, saw the London Symphony Orchestra play Mahler’s 5th, learned that living with less is ok, writing letters is the way people should communicate and you can’t go much longer without music in your life, saw Stonehenge twice, lit candles in every cathedral, drank lots of tea, enjoyed red wine, woke up early, when to bed early, used less internet, cooked better and amazing meals, watched wonderful movies, took care of yourself, survived devil children, talked to the neighbourhood dogs while walking through the park, finished the Harry Potter series and loved every part of yourself: the musician, the teacher, the happy, the daughter, the sister, the friend, the gay, the wanderer, the adventurer, the single person, the artist, the sad, the giver, the wanter, everything. You are stronger, better and wiser after all of your experiences. Never think you failed, never think that going home was giving up.

You did good, kid.



Thank you all for following my adventures. I had more fun than you could possibly imagine.

Merry Christmas and I hope 2011 finds you and your families well.

Much love,


Tara


I'm home.

1 comment: