Sunday, October 17, 2010

everything is illuminated.


Jonathan Safran Foer wrote a book about a young man traveling to the Ukraine to find out more about his heritage. The man is from the US, vegetarian and can't speak the language. There is a apart of the book where the topic of him being a vegetarian comes up and the people he is with from the Ukraine can't understand this and think it is so unhealthy and continues to push meat on him throughout his journey. It was quite funny in the book and little did I know that when I arrived to the 100 year old house in Poland I was about to have that same scene from the book playing out before my eyes. I went to Poland and everything was illuminated.



I wasn't there for very long (the 12th-16th) but I saw enough to know that I have to go back. I had the authentic Polish experience, staying in a house with a woman who speaks Polish or German. Since I speak neither everything we said was translated. Maria is 83 and has been through more than anyone should. Her stories of living through the war and everything else Poland has gone through would be a best seller if a book was ever written. Maria is the chief of the village and builds parks for young children to play in. She also takes in people who are traveling around whether she knows them or not. Still through everything she has experienced in life there is a light in her eyes and so much love in her heart. If we were all a bit more like that I am sure the world would be happier.

I ate like every meal was my last, perogies (my all time favorite), soups, bread, cheese, fruit, etc. Everything tasted better in Poland! Maybe it was because I was on vacation and I had nothing to worry about while I was there. Not only was the food amazing but the people we were with. Ursula, someone who I have known forever, treated us so well! On our first full day Ursula, Ella (her sister-in-law), Ursula's daughter Ursula who they call Ula, Hilary and I all went to the local market. People, I died and went to scarf heaven... May have purchased three but they are beautiful and weren't expensive! Then they took us
for lunch and I had myself some perogies. Every Christmas Ursula makes them and it's one
of our suppers throughout the holidays. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't miss them as much as Christmas morning, yes folks they are that good. SO! I has real Polish perogies and my god they were amazing!!
We spent all of our evenings visiting with their family, drinking wine, telling stories, watching Polish tv and understanding "yes, no, thank you and very". (One night a newer season of House was on and I couldn't understand what they were saying but House was totally dancing with Cuddy and I could hardly stand it... I'm only on season 3 and Hilary and I can't get enough of House and his witty humour!) Sorry for the sidetrack. It was so relaxing just to sit there and hear about the history of the house and village.
Hilary and I went to Wroclaw for a touristy day! It was beautiful, sunny and full of fun things to do. I think one of my favorite parts was our couple of hours spent in the gardens.
Think KCIC gardens x 5! It was beautiful and peaceful. The trip came together so fast that we didn't really research too many things to do so we went on a whim and saw things that caught our eye. We also bought some souvenirs and postcards. Once lunch rolled around we walke
d to the town centre. It is one of the biggest centres in all of Europe! That is impressive since Wroclaw was destroyed right after the war and then the aftermath and communism, etc. It is beautiful! Where did we go for lunch you might ask? A Vegan/Veggie Polish restaurant. Yep! Again we had perogies but they were a bit different, still amazing though.
Our last day in Poland was absolutely beautiful! We spent the day chatting, eating well again, going on walks, taking pictures, and just loving everything about the experience we were having. So if you are pondering where you would like to visit in Europe I would highly recommend putting Poland on the list. If I can and I will go back for su
re.
Yet again another European adventure full of history, laughs, smiles, beauty and love.


"It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past. It is always along the side of us...on the inside, looking out. "

1 comment:

  1. Miss Coombs.... the picture of you writing a postcard made me miss your cute little stationary and penpalmanship (i do not think that is a word). Here is my address, and send me yours! Postcard is in order!

    Alix Shield
    Flat H, 8/F, Tower 6
    Manhattan Hill,
    1 Po Lun Street
    Mei Foo, Kowloon
    HONG KONG

    Sending you many hugs and good vibrations from asia-land! xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete